<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Sorry!

My apologies to my remaining readers, if any there are, for being so neglectful of my blogging duties. I've been dejected, disheartened, depressed and dismayed since the election. I had allowed myself to hope that Kerry might win, but no, the best man lost and the worst man won, by a sizable margin of the popular vote this time, too. Which somehow makes it even more depressing.

Also, my favorite Chinese restaurant on the south end of the beach closed. That bummed me out.

Also, I've been busy with my new kitty, and trying to get him and my sulky old cat introduced.

Also, I had a birthday recently. Yes, now I'm finally old enough to drink legally.

I regret that I was too lazy to blog contemporaneously about Andrew Sullivan's proving on national TV that he can, too, find his ass with both hands, but the blogosphere had that story pretty well covered.

I've been neglecting my blog reading as well. But it looks like one of my favorite bloggers, Atrios, has thoroughly embraced the concept of "outing," or at least rumor-spreading, as a political weapon against Republicans. I'm sorry to see that. The subject has come up before on Atrios, and I've had mixed feelings - I can understand the impulse to expose the fact that some of the people in working to advance an anti-gay agenda are, in fact, gay (if they ARE - in this case I'm not aware of any evidence that the dude is gay); I think proponents view it as exposing hypocrisy (actually, it's not hypocrisy, is it? I mean, there's no exception the anti-gay marriage amendment that would permit gay Republicans to marry. But I digress). BUT. It just doesn't feel right at all. It doesn't seem like something the good guys should be doing. It feels like something, well, the other side would do. I've been sort of ambivalent about the whole issue for a while and hoped I would never have to give it any serious thought. But yesterday Atrios had the odd item about Miguel Estrada and then the thing today about Mehlman. I think what decided me was the tone of some the comments to these posts. One commenter actually, suggested, in all apparent seriousness, that Mr. Estrada's immigration status be investigated. Nice.

Here's my thought on these tactics: If it sounds like something Joe McCarthy might approve of, it's probably the wrong thing to do. Unless you can do it without getting caught. KIDDING! That would be Karl Rove's thought. But seriously, folks. What on earth would the Democrats gain by sinking to this level? Not that they would. I have to keep reminding myself not to worry too much about what a handful of disgruntled commenters on a damn blog say about anything.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?