<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina

I was just clicking through the photo gallery on the CNN website and there's a picture of an old man, in a soaking wet t-shirt and boxer shorts, being helped through the flood waters. His wife is on a john boat in the background. They both look so vulnerable, it's heartbreaking (I don't know how to post a direct link to the pic; you can go to CNN's gallery of Katrina pics and look for it).

I wonder what will happen to those poor people?

A co-worker emailed me today saying that the town of Surfside Beach is collecting stuff to send to LA and Miss. - canned goods, bandages, etc. Surfside got smacked pretty hard by Hugo and received aid from people all over the country; it wants to give back. I think it's terrific that the town is doing this but I couldn't help but wonder if it wouldn't be more helpful just to give the Red Cross some cash and let the Red Cross use it to meet the victims' needs. What if we ship NO a bunch of stuff they already have too much of? I assume they (the people doing the collecting and shippint) know what they're doing and the stuff will go where it can be used, but I wonder.

Anyway. If you're interested, this blog has a list of relief organizations. That link is via Velociman, btw, but don't let that deter you. I'm pretty sure those organizations are legit . . .

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?