<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 14, 2005

Why is this even a subject of debate?

Kevin Drum and his commenters and other bloggers, like the hottie Ezra Klein (follow the links from Political Animal) discuss the politics of holding doors open for people.

Well, DUH. Of COURSE you hold the door open for people behind you. It would be plain rude not to. I always hold the door for people, male or female. Unless they're on crutches.

Some men, insecure Republican men mostly, see the evil influence of hairy-pitted feminism at work when a female is insufficiently grateful for their door-holding skills. That's what happens when politics infuses your every daily interaction, I guess. I mean, if I hold the door for a guy, and he doesn't even say thanks, I don't assume he's a macho neanderthal right wing jerk - I just assume he's a jerk, period. Likewise, fellas, if a woman doesn't acknowledge your politeness in holding the door for her, it may not be because she's a feminist bitch. She's probably just a bitch (or having a bad day). Rudeness and ingratitude know no political boundaries.

Me, I always smile and say "thanks" when people hold the door for me. And when a man steps ahead of me to get the door and, in gentlemanly fashion, let me precede him through the door, I don't get all bra-burningly huffy - instead, I give him an extra big smile. I love it when guys do that. Sue me.

Another cool thing to do, guys, is when you're sitting down, and a woman approaches your table, stand up until she sits down. It's so southern, old-fashioned, and chivalrous. And if a woman has any dad-gum sense at all, she'll appreciate it. Also: if you approach a table with a woman (or lady or chick or broad), do not RACE her to the best seat. Instead, you let her pick her seat and then you suavely hold the chair for her. I taught a guy friend from up north to do that. It was alien and strange to him, but the next time I saw him, he reported that the chicks really dug it.

What other incentive do you need, fellas, to be a teeny bit old-fashioned?

But I digress. Holding the door for people behind you isn't chivalrous or old-fashioned, it's just basic decency.

Another rule of door etiquette is, if a third party is holding the door, and you approach the door a fraction of a second behind yet another party, you do not attempt to cram your person through the door before the other party. Of course, there are some people who just don't get basic door etiquette. Bless their hearts . . .

alt= />

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?