<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A bad day at work

Freudian slips are hell:

A radio personality at 550 KTRS was fired on the spot this morning after using the word “coon” on the air in a conversation about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Dave Lenihan was dismissed after what he called an inadvertent slip of the tongue. Within 20 minutes, station CEO Tim Dorsey apologized on the air to listeners and announced that Lenihan, who had been with the station for less than two weeks, had been let go.

“I don’t know what was in Mr. Lenihan’s mind,” Dorsey said in an interview. “I know what I heard. I know it was reprehensible.”

Lenihan’s comment was made during a discussion about Rice’s credentials to become commissioner of the National Football League, a topic that has been fodder for sports talk radio since the current commissioner announced he would retire later this year.

Lenihan was listing what assets Rice could bring to the league, including her tenure as a top academic officer at Stanford University and the fact that she is African-American.

“She’s just got a patent resume, of somebody that’s got such serious skill,” Linehan said on the air. “She loves football, she’s African-American, which would kind of be a big coon, a big coon – oh my God, I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that, OK? I didn’t mean that. That was just a slip of the tongue.” Lenihan later said he meant to use the word "coup."


Oops.

To his credit, the guy seems genuinely remorseful:

Reached at home, Lenihan said he was still trying to figure out what happened, and was drafting a letter of apology to Rice.

"I was trying to say 'quite a coup' but it came out 'coon,"' he said. "I caught myself and apologized. It wasn't anything I was meaning to say. I never use that word.

"I think she's a fantastic woman. I was even talking about if she ran for president, I'd work on her campaign."


If she ran for NFL Commissioner, I'd work on that campaign. I for one strongly support Condi Rice for NFL Commissioner. Certainly she could do less harm in that post than she did as National Security Advisor - we wouldn't have to worry about vital national security documents gathering dust on her desk under a Saks catalogue and a Chinese takeout menu. In that light, I guess her promotion to Secretary of State was good for the country - less chance of that kind of thing. But still, I'd feel safer if she were ensconced at the NFL.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?