<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Will the real kc please stand up?

Via NTodd, here's a New York Times article about employers who Google prospective employees and make hiring decisions based on results. How does that work when the applicant's name is something like John Smith?

My own real name is not one that you would think would be all that common, but it is. Incredibly common. It might as well be Jane Smith. There are several other kc's in my area, and whenever I go to the doctor or the pharmacist, or take my pets to the vet, I have to make sure they're pulling my records and not one of those other kc's.

And if you Google my full name, or any variations thereof, you'll come up with pages of links to info about kc's who are not me. At least they mostly appear to be solid citizens, though one of them did time for cocaine trafficking. It wasn't me, I swear. As for the others, there's an actress with her own IMDB entry, a professor, a physician, a politician, and a fiction writer. Show-offs . . . If I ever find myself in the job market, should I caution prospective employers about the legions of other kc's out there? Or should I pretend to be one of the others? "Yes, I did some acting. Maybe you saw me on that __________ episode. Or in ______________ II. But I left Hollywood . . . I was sick of people looking at me as just another fantastically gorgeous babe."

Incidentally, if you Google "Rogue Planet" you'll find a dozen or so other "Rogue Planets," most of which aren't me. Apparently there's some Star Trek book named after my blog.


'Cause I'm Rogue Planet, yes I'm the real Planet
All you other Rogue Planets are just imitating
So won't the real Rogue Planet please stand up,
please stand up, please stand up?*


*Marshall Mathers

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?