<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Oh, so THAT was the plan


Via TPMCafe by way of Atrios, here's Joe Lieberman and right-wing radio host Glenn Beck talking about the REAL reason we invaded Iraq:

BECK: I've been saying this before we even went into Iraq, that we're trying to change the face of the Middle East. The weapons of mass destruction was a nice side benefit. We were trying to go and pop the head of the snake in Iran. That's what we were trying to do. And I don't think anybody had the courage or could actually come out and say that with world politics the way they are.

LIEBERMAN: Well, you're right. And I think if I fault the administration for anything before the war -- 'cause I think we did the right thing in going in to overthrow Saddam -- it's that they oversold the WMD part of the argument....


"Oversold?" The "WMD part of the argument??" Funny, I don't remember there being ANY other part to the argument in favor of invading Iraq. Well, other than the Bush administration's careful attempt to link Hussein to 9/11 in a such a fashion that they could later deny having attempted to link Hussein to 9/11.

I've seen other pro-Iraq invasion fanatics advance similar after-the-fact justifications for invading Iraq. Brad Warthen, for example, fancifully informed us that the invasion was about "knocking over the oil barrel." Perhaps Bush conveyed that to Warthen and others in the know by a series of coded blinks, 'cause I sure don't recall him saying anything about upsetting the oil barrel. To the contrary, I seem to recall something about how the invasion would result in cheap gas. But then, what do I know. I'm no Middle East expert. In fact, I'm so clueless about the Middle East that if someone HAD stated the purpose of the invasion was to "pop the head of the snake in Iran," I would have probably said something really dopey like, "How do you expect that deposing Iran's enemy will accomplish that?"

But, hey, that's just me. I will say this: If Joe manages to get re-elected, then I hope in the future he will be so good as to let the rest of the country in on the rationale for any invasions we may undertake in the future.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?